Detailed guide: Healthcare for UK nationals living in Slovenia

Stay up to date

This guidance will be updated if anything changes to how you get state healthcare in Slovenia.

Sign up for email alerts.

This information is about living in Slovenia. Theres different guidance if youre visiting Slovenia.

If you live in Slovenia or move there before the end of 2020, your rights to access healthcare in Slovenia will stay the same for as long as you remain resident.

This guidance explains what you need to do in Slovenia depending on your circumstances.

State healthcare in Slovenia is not completely free. Healthcare costs are covered by both the state and through patient contributions. These are known as co-payments.

If youre a resident in Slovenia, you must have health insurance.

At the moment, UK nationals usually access the Slovenian healthcare system in one of these ways:

  • paying into the Slovenian national health insurance system (ZZZS)
  • paying for private health insurance
  • using a UK-issued European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for temporary stays
  • registering a UK-issued S1 with ZZZS

The S1 form entitles UK nationals access to state healthcare on the same basis as a Slovenian citizen. Youre entitled to an S1 if you receive a UK State Pension or certain other benefits. Find out more about the S1.

Healthcare if you live and work in Slovenia

You must register as a resident if youre living in Slovenia for more than 3 months.

All residents must pay for Slovenian national health insurance (ZZZS). How much you pay will depend on your salary.

If you do not pay into the Slovenian health service, youll need private insurance to pay for any non-emergency healthcare.

Anyone can get emergency medical treatment regardless of their insurance cover.

Your dependants are also covered by the contributions you make.

If you live in Slovenia or move there before the end of 2020, your rights to access healthcare in Slovenia will stay the same from 1 January 2021 for as long as you remain resident.

This means youll:

  • continue to get state healthcare in Slovenia on the same basis as a Slovenian resident
  • still be entitled to a Slovenian EHIC for travel, including visits to the UK

You may also have the right to apply for a UK S1 if you start drawing a UK State Pension.

How to register

If youre employed in Slovenia, your employer will register you with the ZZZS.

If youre self-employed, check that youre registered for healthcare at a local ZZZS office.

If youre unemployed and receiving benefits you do not need to pay contributions.

Once youve registered, youll get a Slovenian health insurance card. Show this whenever you access state healthcare. It covers you for treatment by healthcare providers contracted to the ZZZS.

This includes:

  • GP visits
  • state hospitals
  • health centres
  • state dental care
  • private doctors who have a contract with the ZZZS
  • prescription costs

Youll need to register with a GP. They will usually be your first point of contact to access specialists and hospital treatment.

How much youll pay

Youll usually have to pay between 10% and 90% of the cost of most non-emergency healthcare in Slovenia.

Most people in Slovenia have private voluntary health insurance to cover any co-payments you must make. This costs around 30 euros a month.

If youre registered for state healthcare with ZZZS, you can get voluntary insurance. This means you will not pay for state healthcare services. Your healthcare provider will charge your insurance company directly.

Youll only have to pay if you see a GP or get dental treatment at a private clinic.

If you dont have voluntary insurance, youll need to make the co-payment yourself.

Some people get free healthcare and are exempt from co-payments, for example:

  • children
  • students
  • pregnant women
  • people with long-term or chronic conditions
  • unemployed people or those on low incomes

A&E care and treatment is free, as are certain state healthcare services. Find out whats covered by ZZZS.

Youll usually have to pay either 30% or 90% of the full cost of a prescription, depending on the medication. The ZZZS also sets a maximum amount payable for each medicine. Your doctor will be able to tell you how much youll need to pay.

If you have a chronic illness or long-term condition, you can get free prescriptions.

Youll always have to pay in full for your healthcare when you visit:

  • providers who do not have a contract with the ZZZS
  • specialists without a GPs referral
  • private dentists

If your UK employer has sent you to Slovenia temporarily (posted workers)

A posted worker is someone who is employed or self-employed in the UK, but temporarily sent to another European Economic Area (EEA) country.

Currently, posted workers can use an EHIC or an S1 form to access Slovenian healthcare.

HMRC has a helpline for National Insurance enquiries from non-UK residents. They can answer questions about posted worker status and explain which documents you will need to get healthcare while posted.

There will be no changes to healthcare access for posted workers in Slovenia before the end of 2020.

You can continue to use your EHIC or S1 during this time.

UK-funded healthcare: using an S1 form in Slovenia

Theres different guidance if you have an S1 as a posted worker.

You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if you live in Slovenia and receive either:

  • a UK State Pension
  • some other exportable benefits

You may also be entitled to an S1 form if youre a posted worker or frontier worker (someone who works in one state and lives in another). You must contact HMRC National Insurance enquiries to find out if youre eligible.

Once you have an S1 form, you must register it with the ZZZS.

This will mean you and your dependants will be entitled to healthcare in Slovenia on the same basis as a Slovenian citizen.

How to get an S1 form

If you have a UK State Pension, you must request an application form by phone from NHS Overseas Healthcare Services.

NHS Overseas Healthcare Services
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 9am to 3pm

How to use an S1 form in Slovenia

You must register your S1 in person at a local ZZZS office. Youll be able to get help filling out the forms if you dont speak Slovene.

Youll also need to show:

  • proof that you get a UK State Pension
  • proof of identity, such as your passport

Once registered, you will be issued with a Slovenian health insurance card. This will show youre entitled to healthcare on the same basis as a Slovenian citizen.

UK-funded healthcare using an S1 from 1 January 2021

If youre living in

Source link