Detailed guide: Healthcare for UK nationals living in Denmark

Stay up to date

This guidance will be updated if anything changes to how you get state healthcare in Denmark.

Sign up for email alerts.

This information is about living in Denmark. Theres different guidance about visiting Denmark.

If you live in Denmark or move there before the end of 2020, your rights to access healthcare in Denmark will stay the same for as long as you remain resident.

This guidance explains what you need to do in Denmark depending on your circumstances.

Most state healthcare is free in Denmark if youre a resident and have a state health insurance card (yellow health card).

At the moment, UK nationals usually access the Danish healthcare system in one of these ways:

  • registering as a resident and getting a yellow health card
  • using a UK-issued European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for temporary stays
  • registering a UK-issued S1 with the Danish state healthcare system and getting a yellow health card.

The S1 form entitles UK nationals access to state healthcare on the same basis as a Danish citizen. Youre entitled to an S1 if you receive a UK State Pension or certain other benefits. Find out more about the S1.

Healthcare if you live and work in Denmark

You should register as a resident if you expect to live in Denmark for 3 months or more.

Everyone whos a resident can also register for Danish state healthcare.

This is the same if youre employed, self-employed or not working.

Your dependants need to register independently for healthcare. Children do not need to register independently until theyre 15 years old if a parent is registered, but they do need to have their own yellow health card.

If you live in Denmark or move there before the end of 2020, your rights to access healthcare in Denmark will stay the same from 1 January 2021 for as long as you remain resident.

This means youll:

  • continue to get state healthcare in Denmark on the same basis as a Danish resident
  • still be entitled to a Danish EHIC for travel, including visits to the UK

You may also have the right to apply for a UK S1 if you start drawing a UK State Pension.

How to register

First, apply for an EU Residence Document.

When you have your EU Residence Document you need to register at the Civil Registry of Denmark (CPR).

Youll need proof of your address in Denmark and proof that you are staying for at least 3 months.

You choose your GP during your application to the CPR. When your CPR application is accepted, youll be sent a yellow health card.

The card will show the name and address of your doctor.

Always carry your yellow health card with you. Show it when you have a GP appointment.

How much youll pay

Most medical care is free, including GP appointments, hospital stays, mental health and long-term care.

Youll still have to pay for some medical services. For example, dental check-ups cost around 200 Danish kroner.

Prescriptions are not free, but youll pay a maximum limit each year. Find out how much youll pay towards prescribed medicines.

If your UK employer has sent you to Denmark temporarily (posted workers)

A posted worker is someone who is employed or self-employed in the UK, but temporarily sent to another European Economic Area (EEA) country.

Currently, posted workers can use an EHIC or an S1 form to access Danish healthcare.

HMRC has a helpline for National Insurance enquiries from non-UK residents. This can answer questions about posted worker status and explain which documents you will need to get healthcare while posted.

If youre posted to Denmark for 6 months or more, you must register as a resident and get a yellow health card to access state healthcare.

There will be no changes to healthcare access for posted workers in Denmark before the end of 2020.

You can continue to use your EHIC or S1 during this time.

UK-funded healthcare: using an S1 form in Denmark

Theres different guidance if you have an S1 as a posted worker.

You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if you live in Denmark and receive either:

  • a UK State Pension
  • some other exportable benefits

Not all UK benefits that can be claimed while abroad entitle you to UK-funded healthcare. Read more about claiming benefits if you move abroad or contact Jobcentre Plus to ask about a benefit.

You may also be entitled to an S1 form if youre a posted worker or a frontier worker (someone who works in one state and lives in another). You must contact HMRC National Insurance enquiries to find out if youre eligible.

Once you have an S1 form, you must register it on the Danish system.

This will mean you and your dependants will be entitled to healthcare in Denmark on the same basis as a Danish citizen.

How to get an S1 form

You must request an application form by phone from NHS Overseas Healthcare Services.

NHS Overseas Healthcare Services
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 9am to 3pm

How to use an S1 form in Denmark

Once youre registered as a resident in Denmark, youll be issued with your yellow health card. This will mean youre entitled to healthcare on the same basis as a Danish citizen.

You also need to register your S1 form with Udbetaling Danmark (website in Danish).

UK-funded healthcare using an S1 from 1 January 2021

If youre living in Denmark before the end of 2020, your rights to access healthcare will stay the same from 1 January 2021 if youre either:

  • receiving a UK State Pension
  • receiving some other exportable benefits
  • a frontier worker (someone who works in one state and lives in another)

This means that youll get:

  • continued access to healthcare in Denmark using your UK-issued S1 form
  • a UK-issued EHIC for travel
  • planned treatments in other EU countries via the S2 route
  • access to the NHS in England, Scotland and Wales when youre visiting the UK

EHIC if you have a registered S1

You need to get a new UK-issued EHIC thats valid for travel from 1 January 2021.

Apply now for your new EHIC on the NHS website

Studying in Denmark

If youre in Denmark on 31 December 2020 because you study there, and your course continues beyond 2020, you need to apply for a new UK-issued EHIC.

Your EHIC entitles you to medically necessary healthcare until the end of your study period in Denmark.

From 1 January 2021, your EHIC will only be valid in Denmark. Make sure you have travel insurance to cover the duration of your course.

If youre going to study i

Source link