Detailed guide: Healthcare for UK nationals living in Denmark

Stay up to date

This guidance will be updated if anything changes to how you get state healthcare in Denmark.

Sign up for email alerts.

This information is about living in Denmark. Theres different guidance about visiting Denmark.

Most state healthcare is free in Denmark if youre a resident and have a state health insurance card (yellow health card).

UK nationals usually access the Danish healthcare system in one of these ways:

  • registering as a resident and getting a yellow health card
  • using a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) for temporary stays
  • registering a UK-issued S1 form with the Danish state healthcare system and getting a yellow health card

Healthcare if you live and work in Denmark

You should register as a resident if you expect to live in Denmark for 3 months or more.

Everyone whos a resident can also register for Danish state healthcare.

This is the same if youre employed, self-employed or not working.

Your dependants need to register independently for healthcare. Children do not need to register independently until theyre 15 years old if a parent is registered, but they do need to have their own yellow health card.

Once youre a resident, you may be entitled to a Danish EHIC for travel, including visits to the UK.

You may also have the right to apply for a UK S1 if you start drawing a UK State Pension.

How to register

First, apply for a Residence Document.

When you have your Residence Document you need to register at the Civil Registry of Denmark (CPR).

Youll need proof of your address in Denmark and proof that you are staying for at least 3 months.

You choose your GP during your application to the CPR. When your CPR application is accepted, youll be sent a yellow health card.

The card will show the name and address of your doctor.

Always carry your yellow health card with you. Show it when you have a GP appointment.

How much youll pay

Most medical care is free, including GP appointments, hospital stays, mental health and long-term care.

Youll still have to pay for some medical services. For example, dental check-ups cost around 200 Danish kroner.

Prescriptions are not free, but youll pay a maximum limit each year. Find out how much youll pay towards prescribed medicines.

If your UK employer has sent you to Denmark temporarily (posted workers)

A posted worker, also known as a detached worker, is someone employed or self-employed in the UK, but temporarily sent to a European Economic Area (EEA) country.

UK posted workers can access healthcare in Denmark using an EHIC, GHIC or S1 form.

HMRC has a helpline for National Insurance enquiries from non-UK residents.They can answer questions about posted worker status and explain which documents you will need to get healthcare while posted.

UK-funded healthcare: using an S1 form in Denmark

Theres different guidance if you have an S1 as a posted worker.

You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if youre a Danish resident and receive a UK State Pension.

You may also be entitled to an S1 form if youre a frontier worker (someone who works in one state and lives in another). You must contact HMRC National Insurance enquiries to find out if youre eligible.

If you started living in Denmark before 1 January 2021, you may also be entitled to an S1 if you receive some other exportable benefits.

Once you have an S1 form, you must register it on the Danish system.

This will mean you and your dependants will be entitled to healthcare in Denmark on the same basis as a Danish citizen.

Youll also get:

Dependants and family members may be classified differently in Denmark than the UK.

Check with the local authorities when you register your S1 form.

How to get an S1 form

You must request an application form by phone from NHS Overseas Healthcare Services.

NHS Overseas Healthcare Services
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 9am to 3pm

How to use an S1 form in Denmark

Once youre registered as a resident in Denmark, youll be issued with your yellow health card. This will mean youre entitled to healthcare on the same basis as a Danish citizen.

You also need to register your S1 form with Udbetaling Danmark (website in Danish).

Studying in Denmark

You can use an EHIC or GHIC to get medically necessary healthcare until the end of your study period.

If youre going to study in Denmark for 3 months or more, youll need to register for residence as a student.

When you have your Residence Document, you need to register at the CPR to get a yellow health insurance card.

Getting treatment in the UK

Some former UK residents do not have to pay for NHS treatment when visiting England. This includes UK nationals who started living in the EU before 1 January 2021.

Read more about healthcare when you no longer live in the UK.

If you return to live in the UK youll be able to use the NHS like any other UK resident.

Read more about using the NHS when you return to live in the UK.

Source link