Detailed guide: Coming to the UK for seasonal agricultural work on English farms

Posted on:

This is national guidance for England.

If youre coming to England to work on a farm as a seasonal worker under the Seasonal Workers Pilot, you and your employer must follow this guidance.

Before you travel to the UK you must take a test 48 to 72 hours before your departure date that certifies a negative result for Covid-19.

You will not be allowed to enter the UK if you receive a positive test result.

Before you travel, you should fill in the Passenger Locator Form with your journey, contact details and the address at the farm where you will work and live. You must provide these details up to 48 hours before you arrive in England.

Youll need to prove at UK border controls that you are a seasonal agricultural worker under the Seasonal Workers Pilot Scheme.

Read guidance on what you will need to show when you arrive at the UK border.

You should pack and carry with you sufficient essential supplies (including clothing, medicine and cigarettes) to cover the time from the start of your travel and the 10 day isolation period.

You will not need to self-isolate on arrival in England if you:

  • are travelling from a country that is listed as a travel corridor on your date of departure
  • have not travelled from countries not on the list in the last 10 days

You should still follow this guidance to understand how to protect yourself and avoid unnecessary contact with other people.

Read guidance on what you need to do if you are travelling from an exempt country.

Travelling to England from a country not on the travel corridor list

If youre travelling from a country not listed as a travel corridor, you must self-isolate for the first 10 days after you arrive in England at the farm where you work and live.

Travelling to the farm

You should not travel if you have coronavirus symptoms.

When you arrive in England, you must go straight to the farm where youll be working and living. Someone youll be staying with at the farm should collect you from the airport, port or station.

If you need to use public transport, you must wear a face covering on public transport and in transport hubs, unless you have a face covering exemption because of your age, health or another condition. Read guidance on making and wearing a face covering.

You should consider that wearing a face covering may inhibit communication with people who rely on lip reading, facial expressions and clear sound.

Stay 2 metres apart from other people where possible, or one metre with risk mitigation where 2 metres is not viable.

If you develop coronavirus symptoms when youre travelling to England, you should tell one of the crew on your plane, boat or train, or the driver if youre travelling by bus or coach. Theyll let staff in the airport, port or station know, so they can tell you what you should do next when you arrive.

At the farm accommodation

If you have travelled from a non-exempt country you must stay at the farm address you provided when you arrived at the border.

If you do not live on the farm you:

If you have travelled from a non-exempt country you must stay at the farm address you provided when you arrived at the border.

If you do not live on the farm you:

Your first 10 days in England: travellers from a country not on the travel corridor list

During your first 10 days in England, you can work on the farm as long as youre living on the farm, but you must:

  • avoid contact with others on the farm
  • follow social distancing rulesYou must not leave the farm during the first 10 days unless theres an emergency or you need:
  • urgent medical assistance (or where your doctor has advised you to get medical assistance)
  • to access critical public services such as social services and victim support services
  • to go to the funeral of a close relative
  • to fulfil a legal obligation such as participate in legal proceedings

If you need help buying groceries, other shopping or picking up medication you should ask your employers and colleagues to help or order a delivery.

While on the farm and working, you should follow guidance on safer working.

During your first 10 days in England, your employer should place you into a household or cohort group that you primarily live and work with. Read more about this in the industry best practice guidance on social distancing.

If you get coronavirus symptoms

You should look for any of the following symptoms:

  • new continuous cough
  • high temperature
  • loss of or change to your sense of smell or taste

If you develop symptoms you must self-isolate for both of the following:

  • at least 10 days from the date you arrived in England
  • at least 10 days from when your symptoms started and until you are better and no longer have a high temperature

If you have a high temperature you must continue to self-isolate even if:

  • you have had and recovered from coronavirus symptoms in this time
  • you get a negative test result for coronavirus

You should apply for a coronavirus test as soon as you develop symptoms. You can call NHS 119 to arrange for a test if you do not have access to the internet.

If youre not experiencing symptoms but have tested positive for COVID-19 you should self-isolate for 10 days starting from the day the test was taken.

If you have tested positive whilst not experiencing symptoms but develop symptoms during the isolation period, you should restart the 10 day isolation period from the day you develop symptoms.

If your test for coronavirus is positive you will be asked to share your contacts with the NHS test and trace service. Your contact detail declaration may be used to alert people who travelled to the UK alongside you.

Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus (COVID-19) service, or call NHS 111 if you do not have internet access, if:

  • you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms
  • your condition gets worse
  • your symptoms do not get better after 7 days

For a medical emergency dial 999.

Others in your household or cohort group

If youre staying with others on the farm and you develop symptoms, the household or group (cohort) that you are staying and working with will need to begin self-isolating.

After your first 10 days in England

If you do not have any coronavirus symptoms during or after 10 days, youll then need to follow the same rules as people who live in England.

Check the rules for England.

You must wear a face covering in some public places unless you have a face covering exemption

Source link